The GFX Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

GIMP - SIGNATURE TUTORIAL FOR BEGINNERS

Go down

GIMP - SIGNATURE TUTORIAL FOR BEGINNERS Empty GIMP - SIGNATURE TUTORIAL FOR BEGINNERS

Hello welcome to my signature tutorial for beginners that are learning how to use GIMP. Follow all the instructions and this may help you become a better graphic designer.

Step 1:
Open up a new Gimp document and make the size 400x150 pixels. (You can make it a different size, I just prefer this)
GIMP - SIGNATURE TUTORIAL FOR BEGINNERS Szxws2

Step 2:
Find a background image on the internet that would suit your theme of the signature. As I'm doing a musician, I'll use an image of a concert. And if the image is too big you can make it smaller by going to the Layer button the go Scale Layer. And you can make the size of the background smaller.
GIMP - SIGNATURE TUTORIAL FOR BEGINNERS 2zejsc7

Step 3:
Now you have to create a new layer so go to the Layer Button, then click New Layer... Then something should pop up (make sure it's selected transparency) and press OK.

Step 4:
Find another image. This will be your first object. As I'm doing a musician signature I'm going to put him on the signature. So find one on the internet and copy and paste him on the signature. And again if that's too small you can re-size it.
GIMP - SIGNATURE TUTORIAL FOR BEGINNERS T7e5ty

Step 5:
Now using the Free Select Tool you can highlight the edges of the object (in my case Matt Bellamy). You may need to zoom in for this step.
GIMP - SIGNATURE TUTORIAL FOR BEGINNERS 2mn2hap

Step 6:
And press Crtl + C, the remove everything on that layer. Best to just erase it all. Then once you do that press Ctrl + V. The you'll get something like this:
GIMP - SIGNATURE TUTORIAL FOR BEGINNERS 30jpa8y
And it's most likely not going to be perfect like what mine, so do what I do and just erase the bit's you missed out.

Step 7:
Add a text into the signature, you don't have to but I do. And you can get some cool font's at this website:
http://www.dafont.com/
And this website is a good website to help you get your fonts into a gimp file:
http://www.dafont.com/faq.php#win
And then it here's what I done:
GIMP - SIGNATURE TUTORIAL FOR BEGINNERS 35ib18h

Thank You I hope that this tutorial can help and make you a better graphic designer!!

Back to top Go down

Share this post on: reddit

GIMP - SIGNATURE TUTORIAL FOR BEGINNERS :: Comments

Post Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:53 pm by Guest

Hey Jakey, would it be possible for you to expand on steps 5+6 because it's sort of vague?

Back to top Go down